Friday, February 20, 2009

Fossil Digging and Ninja Driving

Today I went with my sister and brother in law to dig fossils in GA. We went off roading to wehre there is an abandoned coal mine from the turn of the century and the tailings (left over rock) have some fossils in them. I found some 'wild' coal. I wanted to collect a whole bag for blacksmithing fuel. but once I have my forge set up again, I will go back and dig up some coal to use (its the good kind where I can get enough heat to weild over my forge :D ). We dug around for a while and found a wide assortment of fossilized plants and bark. And then I got the find of the day when I split open a rock and found this cool little fern. Apparently, it was still living when the flood came because the imprint is in such good condition. It was exciting to find it!


We also found a very pretty little waterfall and a nice spot for camping once it warms up. Also, my dear sweet brother in law let me drive his 'new' 2000 kawaski ninja motorcycle today. mmm. FUN!!! In time I want to get my motorcycle endorsment and a sporty bike.

3 comments:

Christy Joy said...

WOW! Those are some awesome fossils, Jen! Great find! :D

Tell my cello hi for me ;)

Jen said...

Christy, will do. i say to your cello for you for almost an hour each day. thanks so much for letting me borrow it!! just let me know whenever your want it back. :)

Christen said...

That's cool, Jen! And those a super amazing fossils! How do you find them and actually know that they're fossils? You must teach me. :D